2019 Photo Contest Series
Our wildlife photography contest series for 2019 is now running. We have over $20,000 worth of prizes up for grabs and a winners’ exhibition in New York City! This contest series is made up of three separate photo contests each with a different theme:
Luxury African SafariWe have an amazing grand prize: a seven-day/six-night luxury African safari for two in Botswana courtesy of Natural Selection and Dusty Boots Travel. The safari itinerary is outlined below.
3 Nights: Mapula Lodge, Okavango DeltaMapula Lodge is situated in a massive concession of over 220,000 acres within the norther reaches of the Okavango Delta and is rich in wildlife such as lion, leopard, cheetah, buffalo, elephant and various bird life. The lodge occupies an enviable position on a large, treed island at the edge of seasonal floodplains along the upper reaches of the Selinda Spillway, then river the connects the Okavango Delta to the Linyanti. View Brochure » Situated in the northwestern corner of Botswana, the Okavango Delta is a World Heritage Site as it is the largest inland delta in the world. The magnificent Okavango River sprawls out over the dry sands of the Kalahari Desert forming this flourishing waterlogged oasis featuring countless meandering waterways and crystal clear lagoons studded with water lilies, as well as fertile floodplains and reeded islands inhabited with abundant wildlife. Visitors can enjoy a number of wonderful activities such as game viewing, fishing, bird watching or taking an authentic guided Mokoro excursion through this wetland paradise in a traditional dugout canoe. Commonly spotted animals include: lion, rhino, leopard, giraffe, hippos, elephants, crocodiles and countless species of bird.
3 Nights: The Jackal & Hide, Khwai Private ReserveThe intimate, tented retreat is located amid the shimmering grasslands of the Khwai Private Reserve, one of the best-managed concessions in the greater Okavango Delta. Up here, there’s something to see around every corner and a different activity to enjoy every day, from classic game drives to mokoro trips and boat safaris. View Brochure » Khwai Private Reserve is 440,000 acres bordering onto both the Moremi Game Reserve and Chobe National Park in northern Botswana. The Reserve comprises of some of the most fantastically diverse habitats in northern Botswana, including riverine woodlands, floodplains, open savannah, mopane woodland, rivers and lagoons. This range of habitats results in a range of wildlife, including elephant, lion, leopard, wild dog, cheetah and of course the eponymous sable antelope.
Panasonic G9 and 50-200mm f2.8-4.0 lensThis year’s overall contest series winner will receive a Panasonic Lumix G9 camera and a Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 50-200mm f/2.8-4.0 ASPH lens! The G9 sits at the top of Panasonic’s range of cameras and has an incredible set of features which make it perfect for nature photographers. The camera’s ability to capture up to 50 images per second gives you a better chance of capturing the perfect shot in an action sequence, and a “high-resolution” mode allows you to take stunning 80 megapixel still images, ideal for landscapes. The G9 also boasts 4K video resolution at 60 frames per second! Taking into account the crop factor of the G9’s Micro Four Thirds sensor, the Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 50-200mm f/2.8-4.0 gives the equivalent of a 100mm-400mm focal length – a perfect range for wildlife photography. Furthermore, the fast f/2.8-4.0 aperture enables higher shutter speeds to freeze the motion of fast-moving subjects. Panasonic has used a nano surface coating to eliminate flare and ghosting and the lens has been designed to be dust, moisture and freeze-proof! Find out more here »
F-stop VoucherThe winner of each of the three contests will receive a €350 (approx $380) f-stop voucher. F-stop create amazing camera bags which are ideally suited for wildlife photographers. They are extremely rugged and can comfortably accommodate bulky and heavy camera equipment. My own f-stop backpack is my primary camera bag and has accompanied me on every single photography trip since 2012. F-stop has a range of backpacks with varying capacities to suit your needs. Find out more here »
Breakthrough Photography FiltersThe winner of each of the three contests will receive their choice (excluding square filters) of X4 Neutral Density or X4 Circular Polarising filter from Breakthrough Photography, worth approximately $200. Two runners-up in each of the three contests will receive their choice (excluding square filters) of X2 Neutral Density or X2 Circular Polarising filter, worth approximately $100. Breakthrough Photography make the World’s sharpest and most colour-neutral filters, guaranteed. Find out more here »
Cotton Carrier Camera SystemsThe winner of each of the three contests will receive a CCS G3 Harness from Cotton Carrier worth $120. Two runners-up in each of the three contests will receive a G3 Strapshot worth $80. Cotton Carrier produce secure camera-carrying systems that free your hands, keep your equipment safe, and your body mobile. Find out more here »
Skylum LuminarAll of the winners, runners-up and highly commended photographers of each contests will also receive a copy of Skylum’s Luminar photo processing software. With Luminar, you’ll get professional-looking photos without extra effort. Begin with a sleek and friendly interface that seamlessly adapts to your own needs and skills. Create extraordinary images with supercharged tools, so easy to use you don’t need any manuals or tutorials. Watch me process a photo with Luminar in this video »
Browse past results…
Big Screen PlazaA selection of winners and highly commended images will be exhibited on the “Big Screen”, a gigantic outdoor screen in New York City, USA. This is a 30 ft. HD screen is located at Hotel Eventi in the thriving Chelsea District of New York City. When not privately booked, the screen displays a rotating selection of visual art and photography, curated from artists around the world. The winners’ exhibition will rotate on the screen over the course of several weeks in early-2020. Find out more about Big Screen Plaza here »
How to Enter
To submit photos to our photo contests, you just need to sign up for a free WildlifePhoto.com account here. This will entitle you to submit one image to each contest. Premium members are allowed to enter up to five images to each contest. Find out about the other benefits of Premium membership here.
This photo contest series is accepting entries until 31st January 2020. For Free members, the individual contest will run back-to-back so only one will be open for entries at a time. Premium members, however, are able to submit entries to all three contests at any time.
- Free Members Entry Period: 01 August 2019 to 30 September 2019
- Premium Members Entry Period: 01 August 2019 to 31 January 2020
Habitats & Landscapes
- Free Members Entry Period: 01 October 2019 to 30 November 2019
- Premium Members Entry Period: 01 August 2019 to 31 January 2020
- Free Members Entry Period: 01 December 2019 to 31 January 2020
- Premium Members Entry Period: 01 August 2019 to 31 January 2020
Terms & Conditions
We organise these contests as a way to give back to our community. Our intention is not to sell contestants’ images or to otherwise grab rights that are not necessary for the running and promotion of these contests. The only rights that we do request are those that enable us to display winning and commended images on contest-related web pages and social media posts. We also request the right to allow third parties to publish winning and commended images, with full attribution, on screens and in articles and galleries that publicise the contest series. Please see below for full terms and conditions.
Full Terms & Conditions
The WildlifePhoto.com Photo Contest Series 2019 is now open for entries. Before you enter, please read the competition terms and conditions below. Specific entry requirements related to file preparation and digital adjustment guidelines can be found on the entry upload page.
- This Photography Contest Series (“the competition”) is owned by WildlifePhoto.com, a website operated by Burrard-Lucas Photography.
- By submitting an entry to the competition, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of WildlifePhoto.com, and that you satisfy all eligibility requirements.
- Any entry found not to comply with the competition rules will be disqualified.
- No allowances will be made in such instances and any prizes will be forfeited.
- The decision of WildlifePhoto.com on all matters relating to the competition is final. No negotiation will be considered.
- The competition is not open to owners or employees of WildlifePhoto.com and their relatives.
- The winners and highly commended entries will be selected by Will Burrard-Lucas.
- All entries will be judged anonymously.
- Awarded images in each category will comprise Winner, Runners-up and Highly Commended.
- Only contest winners will be considered for the grand prize.
- The grand prize for 2019 will be awarded to the single image judged to be the most interesting and creative.
- Entrants must not compromise the welfare of any animals, and should never do anything to injure or distress any animals or destroy their habitat in an attempt to secure an image.
- Entrants are responsible for ensuring full compliance with any national or international legislation governing the country in which the image has been taken and in securing any relevant permits which may be required.
- Descriptive captions supplied must be accurate and honest.
- Entrants may not enter images that depict animals in an undignified or degrading manner.
- Entrants who have awarded image(s) will be notified by email in February 2020.
- WildlifePhoto.com cannot be held responsible for emails that do not arrive due to an entrant’s email security settings.
- Prizes specified on the main contest page are guaranteed to be awarded. The cash value of the prize cannot be redeemed.
- The following terms relate to the trip prize.
- The trip prize is non-transferable, non-refundable and cannot be exchanged for cash or any other alternative. The prize cannot be sold, auctioned or given away.
- At least one of the attendees of the trip must be aged 18 or over.
- The prize for two people must be booked together. If the winner does not choose an accompanying travel partner then the other place will be forfeited.
- The prize winner must complete their trip within 18 months of the competition results announcement and must notify Natural Selection/Dusty Boots Travel 30 days prior to the intended date of the trip.
- The prize winner is to organise their trip by liaising with Natural Selection/Dusty Boots Travel directly.
- The prize excludes flights to/from Botswana and any internal flights, and the prize winner is responsible for purchasing their own air tickets for these flights.
- This prize includes: accommodation in a twin or double tent, all meals and local drinks, park fees, activities with expert guide, laundry service and VAT.
- The prize excludes: all domestic, regional and international flights, as well as any other transfers, premium brand drinks and any discretionary tips/gratuities.
- The prize is valid for travel between 01 November to 31 March, excluding travel over the Christmas peak season (19 December – 09 January).
- Subject to availability, block out periods may vary from time to time.
- It is the responsibility of the prize winner to ascertain if visas are required for travel and if so, it is their responsibility to obtain and pay for them.
- The prize winner is also responsible for arranging their own travel insurance.
Copyright and Reproduction
- The photographer retains full rights to any images submitted to the competition.
- Each entry must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party.
- Each entrant must either be the sole owner of the copyright or have secured the written permission of the copyright owner to enter the image into the competition and grants the WildlifePhoto.com the rights detailed below.
- By entering the competition, each shortlisted entrant grants to WildlifePhoto.com and Burrard-Lucas Photography a non-exclusive, royalty-free, and perpetual licence to reproduce, publish and communicate to the public by any means and exhibit their image(s) and copies of their image(s) in all media throughout the world in relation to the competition, including but not limited to all use in the context of:
- Display in the exhibition.
- Inclusion within WildlifePhoto.com and related websites, social media and newsletters.
- Inclusion in promotional, press and marketing materials associated with the competition series and/or the exhibition.
- Any external parties featuring images from the competition reserve the right to choose which images they decide to use to promote the competition. WildlifePhoto.com has no control over, or liability for, any decision such press may make to use (or not use) your image.
- All entrants agree that if their entry is awarded, their name and likeness may be used for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity of the competition and exhibition without further compensation.
- A selection of winning and commended images will be chosen for display in “The Big Screen” exhibition. The images included in this exhibition will be chosen from the winning and commended images by “The Big Screen” management team. Inclusion in the winning and commended selection of images does not guarantee inclusion in “The Big Screen” exhibition.
- WildlifePhoto.com and Burrard-Lucas Photography cannot accept liability for any loss or damage of any image entered into the competition however caused.
- WildlifePhoto.com and Burrard-Lucas Photography cannot accept liability for the misuse of images and/or failure of any third party to comply with the competition’s credit guidelines.